Re: [IP] cozmo dosing units vs carbs

IMO, The ease of use of the cozmo really depends on using it.  And I agree
with the post that it is as simple or as complicated as you wish.  In the
setup you can either add items (such as correction bolus, extended bolus,
temp bolus, etc) to the menus, so if you don't feel like using these they
will not be there.  Also, in the steps below, you can skip the correction
section (either by selecting no or by not having it in the menu) and then
adjust the amount of insulin. I tweaked the amount of insulin it
calculated initially, but then after a day or so what I did was fine tune
my ratios which made the tweaking less necessary.

On the topic of is it a pain to go through all these steps to bolus.  I
initially thought it was going to be.  I am only using the cozmo for a
couple months as part of a study and I was so put off by what I thought
was a big step backwards from the quick bolus of my dtron, I'm not sure I
would have permanently switched to the cozmo.  But there are a couple of
factors.  There is a quick bolus button which does not go through the
menus.  The units (carbs or insulin) and increments are the same as for
the menus, ie I have my pump set for carbs with an increment of 3g.  It is
the same for the menu bolus as the quick bolus.  The quick bolus does do a
vibrate with each press and then does a confirmation vibrate at the end
where you need to press the button again to get the actual delivery.  I
did find this to be more of a hassle and couldn't do the quick bolus w/o
looking at the screen (since I had to wait for the confirmations and then
do the extra press) so I haven't been using it.  But what I didn't expect
is that I like all the fine tuning of the menu bolus as shown below, the
carb input and the correction input that I really don't mind pulling the
pump out of my pocket and going through it looking at the screens and yes
it does require me to put more thought into it which I regard as a good
thing.

You do really need to look at the screens though.  Yesterday I did a bolus
and instead of switching from yes to no on the correction screen I thought
I would blow through it and just keep the correction BG the same and it
would not add anything to the total.  Well, I got the warning your BG will
drop low (the correction screen defaults to yes I think it should default
to no, I was trying to do a shortcut to a correction of 0, but I think
this was due to a previous bolus still working, it did as I expected now
with no previous bolus) screen but I didn't notice it.  So I had my pump
back in my pocket for an hour or more without ever completing the bolus
and without any kind of alert.  I know when you are only partially through
the load menu if the pump is stopped and you will get alerts until
completed, but the pump in my case was running which I assume was the
reason for the lack of alerts.

I did meet with a lead person from deltec when the study began and
mentioned some UI issues I had to her and she said she had heard them from
several other people and it is something they may consider with a software
update.  So, the UI is not locked in stone, if you have comments on it let
the company know.  And like all new systems you really need to try it for
a while before forming an opinion.  At this point, if I had the
opportunity to swich from the dtron to the cozmo, I would.

Jackie, testing the cozmo for one more week.