Re: [IP] Request information on Animas/MiniMed/DTRON Plus

In a message dated 3/6/2003 9:09:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

> Sorry to contradict you here, but i happen to know that animas has not been
> around for 3 years now. I started pumping 6/9/00. At the time I was
> selecting
> my pump i really only had two choices Disetronic and Minimed.  Animas was
> an
> option but they did not start shipping their pumps till July of 2000. I
> happen
> to believe my next pump will be the Cozmo.  If the animas beeps every three
> minutes for a low reservoir it isn't for me.

You may very well be right about when they started shipping (my daughter
wasn't diagnosed until Nov. of 2000 and we had to fight to get a doc to agree
on putting her on ANY pump so I wasn't even looking at which KIND of pump we
wanted until at least January).  I had thought that their FDA approval was in
very early in 2000 and that some people had gotten pumps by the end of the
first quarter.  In any case, there is no doubt that at the time, Animas was
the newest kid on the block.

If you think the Cozmo is the right pump for you, that's great.  I've heard
all kinds of great things about it (it's clearly the most feature filled pump
currently available) and the only negative I've seen was that one report of
what was IMO poor service/advice for the fellow who saw water inside of his

Just to make sure you've got accurate info re: Animas pumps and low cartridge
warnings.  You can set it to warn you at either 20 units remaining or 40
units remaining (and that's base on the actual units remaining not a
calculated number) . . .

Pumpmama to Katie