Re: Subject: [IP] Re: wasted insulin

>  Sucking insulin out of old tubing is a bad idea because this is the one
part of
> the set that can most easily become contaminated during regular use. I've
> people develop serious staff infections from this practice. I know it's
hard to
> waste 20 units each time you toss a tubing, but it is a lot cheaper than a
> possible surgical incision and drainage and antibiotics.

I did this for years.  It just made sense to avoid wasting the insulin in
the tubing by withdrawing it using the old syringe.

The difference is that I injected it into an insulin vial and then withdrew
what I needed for the next set change.  I quit reusing the insulin in the
tubing when I noticed something floating in my vial of insulin one time.

I still reuse the insulin in the reservoir, if there is any, but I store it
in an old empty vial.

When you think about it, it is amazing that people don't get sick when they
do this kind of medical stuff at home, using numerous unsanitary procedures
that we don't even realize are risky.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990