Re: [IP] Diflucan

The info below my sig is from the patient handout for
Diflucan.  My Ob/Gyn will not prescribe this for me
again (will only Rx once) since he is concered about
the potential liver damage (I do NOT have any liver
diseases).  Especially notable is the possible drug
interaction with oral contraceptives and oral
antidiabetic drugs.

Sue wrote about the possibility that a yeast infection
can be transmitted via a partner.  I have found this
to be true myself, but don't know any physicians who
think that is possible.  Guess their wives have never
had one, eh?  May they all be cursed with chronic
yeast infections!

-gail in denver

Side Effects
This medication may cause stomach upset, loss of
appetite, altered taste, diarrhea, nausea, headache or
dizziness during the first few days as your body
adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist
or become severe, inform your doctor. In the unlikely
event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek
immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic
reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness,
trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not
listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of:
liver disease, kidney disease, any drug allergies.
This medication should be used only when clearly
needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and
benefits with your doctor. Fluconazole is excreted
into breast milk. The manufacturer of this drug
recommends it not be used while breast-feeding.
Consult your doctor before you breast-feed.

Tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and
nonprescription drugs you may use, especially of:
astemizole, cisapride, cimetidine, oral
contraceptives, cyclosporine, oral antidiabetic drugs,
phenytoin, rifampin, rifabutin, certain
benzodiazepines (e.g., alprazolam, triazolam),
tacrolimus, terfenadine, theophylline, warfarin,
zidovudine. Do not start or stop any medicine without
doctor or pharmacist approval.

Do you Yahoo!?