Re: [IP] my paradigm fiasco

> Yesterday, I had an episode with static electricity and my pump dying.  I
> very threatened and scared- I had faith in them where I wouldn't need an
> unknown "backup plan".  They could at least supply us with 2 pumps like
> disetronic.  <snip> Mini med
> doesn't have to be so cheap- they can give us backups.  I feel like their
> guinea pig and I hate it.  If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd
> to hear them.

Well, since you asked, I have a comment (remember, you said you'd love to
hear it) <g>:

If giving a 2nd pump is the *least* they could do, what is the *most*? Of
the - what is it, 5? now - pump companies, Disetronic is the only one
issuing two pumps. So they are doing the most and the other 4 are doing the
least. Even D issues a pen with one of their versions, not 2 pumps, so they
are cutting their *most*. I'd also like to have 2 cars when I buy one since
it has been statistically proven that new cars are in the shop quite often
for little, but necessary, repairs. I know our lives depend on our insulin,
but we do have ways to get it into us without a pump so our lives aren't
otherwise threatened. We also need transportation which our lives might or
might not depend on i.e. delivering a baby on an interstate. ;)

Pumps have been around more than 2 decades so we really aren't guinea pigs.
Thousands and thousands of pumpers have never had a 2nd pump. Michael has
given us substitute systems that work very well for coverage without
re-introducing long-acting insulin back into our systems for a short period
of time.

Since all things mechanical at *some time* will fail, it isn't wise to have
*faith in them where I wouldn't need an unknown "backup plan".* I was taught
in my initial training to get a backup plan almost 2 decades ago and that
*should havae been* part of your training. Please talk to your medical team
and get one in place. (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Every calendar's days are numbered.