Re: [IP] Parents-I need your help!

> I am working on a Project for my Public Relations class. We , my group and
> are doing a PR plan for JDRF. My group wants to get some examples of
> parents have of when their child was diagnosed.   Also, parents, we want
> stories about how research has helped improve the life of your child
> is obvious*  I am looking for more research driven. Also, what are your
> hopes/dreams for your child? (yeah, i know a CURE...my group members
> me to ask)

I'm not a parent (not of a diabetic, anyway), but I thought I could help
with the research question.  I don't know that I can help with the other two
questions, but thought I'd offer what I could.

In 1987, two years after I was diagnosed, they did a 24 hour urine test on
me.  They found I was dumping protein.  My parents and I were told that this
indicated that, within fifteen years, I would suffer kidney complications.
These were the earliest signs.

I was sent to a kidney doctor who recommended an experimental treatment to
my parents and me.  It had been extensively researched -- on animals.  No
humans had had this type of treatment before.  There were no guarantees of
its success.  But the option of doing nothing left kidney failure in my
future, as a virtual certainty.  What did I have to lose?  My parents and I
(I was then fifteen or sixteen years old) opted for it.  I became a human
guinea pig in the effort to delay or prevent kidney complications in

At that time, I was put on Vasotec.  Ever since then, with the exception of
during pregnancy, I've been on either Vasotec or Enalapril.  My kidneys have
not only NOT failed, fifteen years later, but they no longer spill protein.
The protein spilling stopped right away, and only started again once a
couple of years ago, signaling that my dose needed to be raised again.  When
it was, the protein spilling stopped.

I have been able to have two beautiful children since then.  My guess is
that pregnancy would have been strongly discouraged had I developed those
complications.  I'm sure glad we had the opportunity we did.

That experimental treatment, based on research, has become standard

When you think about it, though, research is responsible for MUCH of our
treatment today.  Thanks to research, we no longer test our urine for sugar
every day.  Thanks to research, standard treatment is no longer one insulin
shot a day.  (Truth be told, insulin is available to keep us alive due to
research!)  And it is because of research that many of us are able to avoid
complications or treat them, maintaining a quality of life, for many years
longer than we once might have.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I hope that helps.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990