[IP] OneTouch UltraSmart - dissappointed (long)

Well, I thought I'd share with you my current issues with the UltraSmart.
The main reason I wanted it was to encourage me to log carbs and exercise
and such - something I don't seem to do on paper or my palm. I then wanted
to be able to download that data to my PC to analyze for trends and such,
like I did with my old Ultra. Before ordering the UltraSmart, I looked at
the owner's manual, which continually said that the UltraSmart was
downloadable using free software available at Lifescan.com.

When I was unable to download even the bg readings from the meter, and
unable to find a later version of the software, I emailed Lifescan customer
service. They told me that the new version of software was still in
development, and would not be available until 2nd quarter of 2003. I also
cannot download any data from the meter to an 3rd party programs.

Doing a google search, I pulled up an FDA doc of Lifescan declaring it's
intent to market the UltraSmart (http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf2/k021819.pdf)
and stating in that document "The meter includes a data port that enables
the user to download electronic logbook data to a personal computer" I have
the data port and the cable, but it sure doesn't allow me to download my

Well, I'm kind of mad at them right now. I have a week's worth of readings
in my new UltraSmart that I cannot get out into any kind of analysis program
(other than by typing them in manually), and I feel like I was misled by the
advertising and materials. I'm also afraid that their second quarter date
will get pushed back, like many new releases seem to. I wish I had not
bought the meter. Without the software, it is no different than the Ultra to
me, and I will go back to using my Ultra so I can download my readings.

If I ever get on an insurance plan that covers the strips for the Freestyle
Tracker, you can bet I'll switch. I was formerly a devoutly loyal customer
of Lifescan - I have not had a meter that was not a Lifescan since my
diagnosis 8 years ago. I was so looking forward to the release of the
UltraSmart, and wish they hadn't messed it up this way.

My reccommendation - if downloading data is important to you, DON'T buy this
meter now.

Type 1 8 years, pumping 9 months with Buzz the MM Paradigm.