Subject: [IP] Re: wasted insulin

Summer wrote:

I just did a site change and I sucked all the old insulin out of the tubing
into the old res, then I attached the old res to the new tubing and manually
 primed the tubing then quickly disconnected it from the empty old res and
it to the new full res.

 Sucking insulin out of old tubing is a bad idea because this is the one part of
the set that can most easily become contaminated during regular use. I've seen
people develop serious staff infections from this practice. I know it's hard to
waste 20 units each time you toss a tubing, but it is a lot cheaper than a
possible surgical incision and drainage and antiobiotics.
Leigh Steed, RN, CDE
Pump Trainer