Re: [IP] Number of insulin vials monthly - wasted insulin

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:47:06 -0800, Sue K <email @ redacted> wrote:

 > Has anyone discovered a good way to get the 20 units out of the

If you're using a Paradigm or a non-MM pump I can't answer your
question. But with a 508 I just lift the reservoir (still connected to
the tubing, but disconnected at the QR) out of the pump and use the
plunger on the reservoir to withdraw the insulin from the tubing. I stop
when I see a large bubble of air going into the reservoir. Disconnect
and discard the now more-or-less empty tubing. If you're going to
continue using the reservoir, attach a new tube and infusion set and
start priming. If you're going to discard the reservoir, you can save
the insulin by attaching the needle which you have saved from when you
filled the reservoir. Now you can squirt the insulin back into a bottle
of insulin. If you have concerns about contaminating a new bottle of
insulin you can use a partially empty bottle.

I learned this from this list, and have been doing it for several years.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000