Re: [IP] Number of insulin vials monthly - wasted insulin

I was just going to write a message about how much insulin is wasted when I
saw this email. I was so surprised when I actually went through the numbers.

Am I calculating this correctly? I hope I am wrong.

A bottle of insulin holds 1000 units.

Say I use 45 units per day, and a month averages 30 days.
45 units x 30 days = 1350 units per month.

Then add what is wasted. - Not even counting what might be lost in a prime.
If I change my set every 48 hours as instructed, that's ~15 set changes per
For every set I throw away 20 units in the tubing.
That's 20 units x 15 changes = 300 units.

So every month I'm throwing away almost 1/3 of a bottle of insulin!!!
At $50 per bottle, that's $16 worth of insulin being tossed.

When you prime, you can stop the prime function immediately when a drop
comes out of the needle. So even though you are priming, you are not
wasting most that insulin, you are pushing it through the tubing. You can
stop it before most of it gets pushed out the end of the tubing and on to
the floor.

Has anyone discovered a good way to get the 20 units out of the tubing???

  Hi:  With an insurance change I am now able to have Novolog covered.Can you