[IP] Re: Basals

In all my reading on IP, I've never yet heard anyone mentioning doubling the
basal rate for sleep time.  But this increased insulin need can sure happen
for Claire.  The problem is that it is so sporadic.  Some nights she will be
at the low end of normal bgs at bedtime and by 1:30 am she will be at 22.0!!
(around 400). After that time period, she may or may not drop quickly.   I
hate this, given that she is only 8 and is not growing rapidly.  I am not
brave enough to set a double basal rate, as it only happens for awhile, and
then stops.  But overnights have always been a struggle for us since pumping.
      Your  Lily was too old for naps when she was dx (I hope!), but your
explanation sure explains why parents of toddlers see such high bgs after
unscheduled naps.  When I questioned the nurse about this when Claire was 3,
she said it was just due to the inactivity, but I knew it had to be something
else involved.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8