[IP] Re: Birth Control Pills

<i never knew that the bcp had any effect on bg levels - neither my family
doc nor my endo has advised me to go off of it.  i know that the little
insert says that people with diabetes shouldn't be on the pill, but i
haven't had any problems yet.>
My doctor, first CDE, pump trainer and Endo have all told me birth control
pills cause higher blood sugars.  I have also read it somewhere (don't
remember where).  I was on birth control pills for 18 years and quit taking
them the moment I was diagnosed.  BCP's increase your risk of stroke, and so
does Diabetes, so I figured I didn't need the extra risk.  My doctors were
relieved I elected to discontinue using them.  If you've been taking them
all along, your insulin doses are probably adjusted to accomodate their
effect.  My comment was in response to a post where someone's insulin needs
suddenly decreased significantly after discontinuing BCP's.  Base on the
information I've been given, that would only make sense.