Re: [IP] surgery advice

>>>I am having a surgery on Tuesday and can not eat anything after midnight
Monday.  My endo and I discussed dropping my basal (a lot!) until after
surgery. >>>

For my last surgery, I had talked to the anesthesiologist about pumping,
etc., and he wanted me to reduce my basal. I told him I would, depending on
my BG at the time. It was 149 so I did nothing - since my basal would carry
me through. Due to the trauma of the surgery, BGs tend to rise - after
surgery I was 165 so I was glad I had not reduced.

>> My surgery isn't until 12pm, which causes me some concern.  <snip>  (And
yes, I complained a great deal about the late surgery time!!) >>

Then you'll understand my complaining a great deal when a surgery in '97 was
scheduled for 4:00 p.m.!!  I was so shook up over it I had a monstrous
headache and was throwing up at 3:55 p.m.  The nurse said, "The dr's waiting
on you!" And I can quit doing this for his convenience???????  Well, they
had to give me morphine to relieve me and put me to sleep. But, that was
before I had joined the 'net and learned from all the great pumpers about
basals carrying one through without any food.

Are you concerned about the hunger due to going without food that long, or
about a dropping BG due to no food? If your basals are set correctly, you
should even be able to go a whole day w/o any food and have BGs in a good

Your healing will go much faster with normal BGs, and it will rise
significantly if you cut the basals by a lot. *My* feeling is that you won't
miss the food all that much due to the stress that is natural before this.
Stress sometimes causes lack of appetite. ;-)

Best wishes for you and let us know how it goes.

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. - Sacha Guitry