[IP] Did you see this response in the BMJ???

diabetic scientist response     30 March 2002
Barbara B. VanRenterghem,
Scientific Editor
Westboro, MA 01581

While I appreciate the viewpoints of those responding to the scientific
study, my experience, both as a scientist and as a diabetic would seem to
favor the conclusions of Dr. Pickup. From my investigations and through
talking with my own endocrinologist, I have come to the conclusion that for
most brittle diabetics and those with wildly flucuating blood glucose values,
an insulin pump would appear to be the best choice of treatment. As one who
maintained a hemoglobin A1c level of 4-4.5 during pregnancy with twins while
talking 2 injections per day, it is possible to obtain and maintain an almost
"non-diabetic" level of glycemic control. I tend to think of myself in stable
terms and not one who would benefit from pump therapy. I assumed from Dr.
Pickup's study that his conclusions were in line with equating "special
needs" diabetics with brittle, unstable diabetics.