[IP] RE; Losing your pump

Karen wrote:

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:59:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Karen Burton <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] help!

I went to the doctor last week and they told me that I
had to lose 50 pounds and get my A1c under 7 or they
were going to take me off the pump therapy.  I have
dropped 4 pounds and my bs are running around 150 but
still having some trouble.  Anyone have any advice.
I'm really don't want to lose my pump.  I'm really
down about this whole thing.
                 * * * * * * **

Karen - I agree with other people on the list that you
need to lose the doctor.  Maybe you do need to lose 50
pounds, but I don't think "blackmailing" you or
threatening you to take your pump away is going to
motivate you to lose the weight -- you know in your
heart what you need to do -- only you can decide to
lose weight or not.

My A1c has always been around 7.  It was 7.5 before I
started on the pump -- 7.5 2-1/2 months after starting
the pump.  I had one done yesterday and it was
7.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am VERY disheartened.  I have
some highs once in awhile, but really felt that most
of my blood sugars were much better than before the
pump -- why is my A1c getting higher??  I still seem
to have trouble with lows too.  My endo made it sound
like I would be much more "regulated" on the pump.
All it has really done for me is been a convenient way
to deliver insulin!!  Has anyone else had initial
trouble with A1c tests going up in the beginning?  It
seems like most people here are all excited because
their A1c dropped dramatically right away.  I also
gained weight!!! UGH.

Pat (pumped????)

Do You Yahoo!?