[IP] basal rates/set change/meal bolusing

Sarah,

I just started pumping on Friday.  I'm still trying to figure some stuff
out (ok, a lot).  If your site looked good when you pulled it out this
time, then you probably just have a problem with your basal.  Friday, I
had my bloodsugars taken every hour (from 8AM-11PM) and then every 2hrs
(11PM-7AM).  What it sounds like you had a problem with was your basal is
not set correctly for that time of the day.  If that problem happens
again, then you should run one of the basal tests (the one appropriate
for that time of day).  I'm having a tendency to run high during the
morning.  I've always been a heavy insulin user in the morning, so this
came as no suprise.  What were you doing before?  Were you a "heavy"
insulin user at this time of the day???  I was also told that you need to
wait at least 2hrs between corrections (someone correct me if I got this
wrong!) b/c you have a chance at overdosing yourself on insulin and
running l! ow.  I hope that this answers your questions.  Feel free to
e-mail me personally.  I check on a regular basis.

Emily

dxed2/89

pumping 6days

----Original Message Follows---- From: Linda Bork <email @ redacted> To:
Pumpers <email @ redacted> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:03:14 -0800
(PST) Anne wrote: If your basals are set right then testing 2 hours later
should show good readings, same as when you bolus for food, 2 hours later
should show good levels, if you have given the correct amount for the
carbs eaten and your basals are set right.. A correction bolus should
lower your bgs slightly within an hour. My response: But Sarah's original
question involved checking after eating, and she is a new pumper whose
basals are probably not yet tuned. If she changes a site just before
eating, it will not be possible to tell 2 hours later if it is working,
because most people are relatively high 2 hours after a meal. So, Sarah,
in the beginning, you are best off to assume the site is working as long
as your BG's do not climb continuously without ever going down. As long
as it goes down between 2 and 3 hours after eating and bolus it is
probably working. Or as Anne said, a correction without eating should
work within 1 hour, but if your basal is slightly too low, it may be
impossible to judge if your site is OK or not with a correction bolus. In
my 6+ years of pumping I probably have had less than 10 bad sites. Linda