Re: [IP] hmo for diabetic children

I have had to use both types of insurance coverage.  I hear a lot of
people complain about the HMOs, but I never got any flack from my
insurer.  There were many steps taken as far as preventive measures for
diabetics.  My supplies were all covered and they paid 80% of my pump.  At
first there was a certain amount of educating that had to be done, but
that was mainly with pharmacies not the insurance.  I live in NC and have
used Partners and Healthsource.  I always liked the fact that I didn't
have to wait to be reimbursed for anything.  I just paid may part and that
was it.  I have even heard people complain about short stays after giving
birth, but because of my diabetes, I was allowed a five day stay with no
questions asked.  Maybe I have been lucky or my state may be the
difference I don't know.  I don't understand the complaints.  I am now
using Medcost and these people can't even keep there own records
straight.  My son and I both are on a pump and they would pay for things
for him and turn right around and deny coverage on me.  Things like not
being covered or frequency of use.  I wish I was back with a company that
cared about people with diabetes and were willing to make sure they had
what they needed.  Even with eye exams, it was not that I could only have
one exam a year.  They required one a year.  My doctor felt that every six
to nine months was more feasible and the insurance paid with no
questions.  I would tell you to educate yourself about your coverage and
educate your insurer about diabetes care if need be.  Once again, I can
only speak from my own experience, but I had no problems with HMOs.

Billie