Re: [IP] Re: Halle Berry

In a message dated 3/26/02 6:27:39 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< BTW - what was with that speech of hers?  Yikes!  I would like to quote
someone who posted on a travel (world wide participants) website:  "Halle's
speech epitomized the kind of deluded rambling that makes the Academy Awards
such a cringing spectacle.  I mean, what does she think she has done, cured
cancer or something?" >>

I am sure she realizes that she has not cured cancer!  Obviously you are not
a person of color. Since you brought it up on this forum I will reply here.
As a woman of color in a field that has few women or men of color
(architectural engineering), when we are able to get the SAME recognition
that you all regularly receive and therefore take it for granted that it
rightfully belongs to you, we are often so overwhelmed that the response may
be rambling.  She was the FIRST woman of color (any other than white) to
receive such an honor.  To be the first at anything momentous is
overwhelming. Last year Julia Roberts rambled on and cried when she won.  No
complaints there.  Did She Cure Cancer?????