Re: [IP] Re: Halle Berry

Halle may have Idiopathic Diabetes, which is a form that is considered Type
1, but is not the same as the more common type of diabetes that most Type
1's are dealing with.. It occurs mostly in blacks.

What happens is that a normal-weight young person presents in DKA, and needs
insulin, but after a time, the diabetes goes away, and the person is able to
survive and maintain good BGs without medication. Sometimes the BGs do go up
again, and the person may require insulin again at an older age. Even when
NOT taking insulin, the person DOES have to pay attention to diet and
measure BGs periodically, even during good periods.

No one knows what causes this, but it's clearly not insulin-resistant Type
2, so they dumped it in the grab-bag and came up with Type 1.

Just like Type Weird, which I have -- insulin-sensitive, deficient, but NOT
totally lacking is actually classified as Type 2, although my treatment and
management needs are much more like Type 1 than Type 2.

Which all goes to show that the classifications are oversimplified, and all
of us need to individualize our treatment according to our needs, and not
according to a table or "management tree".

Type Weird, pumping!
mailto:email @ redacted
                                                                (
                                                                 0