Re: [IP] 504 plans

We have a 504 for our teenage son who is identified as gifted, but also
has learning disabilities. He is entitled to accommodations such as
extra time on tests and lessened volume of homework if he demonstrates
proficiency in a subject.

I believe it is a legal requirement to redo the 504 each year. I also
believe that it is very important to sit down and physically review the
504 requirement each year with that year's teachers. Some years we have
chosen to change the modifications. For example, our son did not like
being single out to sit near the front of the class after he got into
high school. Turned out that modification was not helping his school
performance, it was instead making him self-conscious.

Yes, most teacher in elementary school read the cum  of all 20 or 30
students. I would not expect high school teachers with 150+ students to
do this.

Again, I like meeting face to face with teachers and reviewing,
rewriting the 504. It gives all of us a chance to ask and answer
questions. There are very few opportunities to meet high school teachers.

Jennifer starts high school next fall. We will be going in June to meet
with the school nurse and counselor (fortunately, the same one her
brothers have had for the last 5 years). I will write notes to all the
teachers before the first day of school, but having the 504 meeting
early in the school year is essential.