[IP] Re: Insurance Change

In a message dated 3/25/02 3:18:58 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My question is
> the HMO coverage seems to pay 100% for everything that I would need,
> sounds to good to be true. Some people around here think HMO is the work
> of the devil. My doc is on their small list of doctors so no need to
> change if I decide to go with HMO. Does anyone on this list have HMO
> through BC/BS of Illinois? if so how is it. The PPO has been great
> covering 80% for my pump. but paying nothing sounds good.
> Thanks
> Michael

Michael - I have HMO Illinois (through BC/BS)  I think this is the company
you are thinking of going to.  I chose it because it was less expensive that
our other choice (United Health care) and had no deductible but I was also
skeptical about an HMO.  I know each plan is different but I've had it for
over a year and they have been covering 100% of my pump supplies.  They also
cover my test strips at 100%!  I get a one month supply of 200 strips for
free at the pharmacy.  I could also get a 3 month supply through mail order
(Walgreens).  My doctor wasn't thrilled that I switched and said some things
might not be covered but so far I haven't come across anything.  They do pay
slower than United Health Care so I usually get a bill but it does get paid.
One mistake I made was not to get a referral for my eye doctor for my annual
exam (didn't need to do this before).  Apparently my doctor can't do retro
referrals so I submitted a letter to ask them (HMO Illinois) to pay for it.
Still waiting for response but even if I pay for the eye visit I'm still
ahead of the United Health Care choice (by the way I had them before and had
no problems, I just switched when my there was a deductible).

Type 1 28 years, pumping 2 1/2 years - Novalog