[IP] Re: British Med Journal article

<<Connie Miller wrote in regards to article in British Med Journal:
"This kind of research makes me crazy, and is what some NON CHILD PUMP
FRIENDLY CLINICs hold on to! IT's NOT right!"

Connie, we agree 100%.  Didn't go in to check the article, but if it's the
one we're thinking of, it relates to potential cost to the "socialized"
medical coverage in Britain if people use pumps(at end, think it said that
total number to use pumps under the criteria would be small).  To us, this
means that holding costs in toe is more important than someone having to
take say 8 shots including middle of the night, lots more glucose checking,

I also didn't go in to read this article, but have read ones with similar
conclusions in the past (maybe the same one, recycled?).  I spent 2 years in
the UK with Claire and her diabetes.  The government provides at no charge
all diabetic supplies which are approved--when we arrived lancets were not an
approved item, but a few months later they were.  Only certain strips were
covered, so we had to switch bg meters, to a Dex which I hated.
     I saw some pretty awful standards of diabetes care for children.  I was
told not to check bgs at lunch time and the docs were not pleased that Claire
got 3 injections a day, they preferred 2.  When we went to a diabetes
children's weekend in England, I discovered that almost every child in
attendance was using pre-mixed insulins--eg 75/25 N and R.  How do you get
any sort of control with this??  When Claire's bgs went to 350-400 almost
every day in the late afternoon I wanted to add a fourth injection at lunch
or a bit later, but I was told not to, that a few hours at this level was
just fine.  I then started my own research and found out about insulin pumps
and decided we would have to move back to Canada to get one.
     If the doctors/researchers in the UK come out and say that the pump is
better, there will be pressure on the gov't to buy the pumps and supplies.
And they just don't want to spend that sort of money.  I did actually meet a
UK doctor who was a "pump expert"--he happened to be visiting our hospital
the day of Claire's appointment where I asked about insulin pumps.  The docs
were a bit excited about my interest, so I think there is interest on their
part.  They just need to have met more patients on them.  I have been meaning
to write them a letter about our experience.
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7