Re: [IP] Pump/Beeper and 504 Thread

> In a message dated 3/25/02 12:52:53 PM Central Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > PUBLICITY -- every opportunity any of us has must be used to let the
> > public, the media, our respresentatives in state and federal
> > government , friiends, business KNOW ABOUT DIABETES, the fact that
> > over 200,000 people a year die from diabetes related illness. That is
> > more than AIDS, auto accidents, you name it. Most people don't know
> > this, nor do they know about the relatively small funding that
> > diabetes research receives with respect to many other diseases that
> > disable and kill far fewer people.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> Michael....do you have a reference for these...I have seen these
> stats before and would like to be able to use them but need
> references

They are in a number of ADA pubs. You can also look at the stats on
the National Institute of Health web site, but remember that they
only list what it says on death certificates so if someone with
diabetes dies of heart failure due to coronary artery disease,
stroke, or kidney failure -- all of which are brought on as
complications of diabetes, the death certificate does not say
DIABETES so the stats collected by NIH are misleading. I suspect the
real numbers are higher than 200,000 but it is hard to determine