[IP] 504 plans

"Why was I never informed by the schools about the 504. You can bet I am
calling the ADA in my area today and some paper work will be filing through
some offices very soon."

I didn't feel the need for a 504 plan until Jake entered Junior High.  Having
to catch and teach 6-7 teachers, school staff, and coaches got very
repetitive, and I was beginning to wonder if I was remembering to teach each
one completely.  When Jake started having some illnesses, erratic BS's due to
stress, and his grades started dropping, our endo encouraged us to speak to
his psychologist through the diabetes clinic.  This psychologist encouraged
us to seek out and initiate a 504 plan to aid in teaching, all being taught
the same things, and to have a "leg" to stand on should we have troubles in
the future.  He thought this would aid in less stress for Jake.  I returned
to the school the next day, making an appointment with the counselor to do
what I thought would start the 504 plan in the works.  I was told that in her
estimation, the school was cooperating on our wishes for Jake and a 504 plan
was not needed, end of appointment.  I then returned home thinking I was
being an over protective Mom, and berating myself for seeking out the 504
plan.  The next quarter (winter) for Jake was terrible, for us too.  The
stress level went up, his health went down, his grades plummeted.  At the
insistence of my husband, I again talked to the psychologist, and he said he
would be happy to work with the school in setting up the 504 plan, adding
again, he encouraged it.  I AGAIN made the appointment with the counselor,
and got the same answers, but by then, my normally A/B student was bringing
home F's, his BS's were bouncing from 400-500 to 40 and down to 29.  A lot of
the times, these bounces were during the same time periods and classes he was
having troubles with.  None of the teachers contacted us as to Jake's
troubles, but being the "overly protective" Mom, I constantly emailed the
teachers for progress information.  I finally asked to talk to the school
district psychologist, who in turn, called me 3 times at home, discussing
Jake, his diabetes, his grades, his stress levels, and he took the ball and
ran with it.  I told him how many times I had asked for the 504 plan to help
out Jake and he researched the "brick wall" I had encountered.  Needless to
say, keep at it, it is your right, and your child's!  We signed Jake's 504
plan Jan 15, 02, 4 months after the first request.

I was informed by the school however, it is my duty to make sure the
teachers, etc., receive notification or a copy of the 504 plan each year,
each semester change, etc.  I do not mind my duty, I do it for my child.