[IP] ins. Q

I had some lab work done in 2001 when we had a diff. ins. carrier. The lab
was slow in submitting the claim and I'm just now getting the ins. co's
explanation of benefits stating *it was not submitted in a timely manner.*
On the part that says *Insured's responsibility* there is the full charge.
Now, it wasn't our fault the lab was slow. How do we handle this? Pay it?
They would all be slow and get the money from the patient if that's the
case. TIA  (~_^)

When your outgo is more than your income, your upkeep is your downfall.