RE: [IP] Teacher selection

I know that in the state of MD, you have to have the dr fill and sign a
form for the medication to be distributed during school hours.  When we
started getting my endo to sign my paperwork (I was in 10th grade). He
wrote as needed and to be carried and adminstered by the student.  This
was on my sheet for insulin and inhaler.  Do you have something similar
in FL and other places where there is trouble with the school?

Emily

pumping since 3/22/02

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Kathy Bruckmeyer"
<email @ redacted> Reply-To: email @ redacted To:
<email @ redacted> Subject: RE: [IP] Teacher selection Date: Sun,
24 Mar 2002 21:54:51 -0500 Hi Marisa: I know in my daughter's school,
anyone w/any health issue has to go to the office to see the clinitian. I
think this is so dumb because what if a child is having an insulin
reaction? They have to go to the office to see the clinitian to get
glucose tablets...ditto for those on inhalers for asthma. I don't know
why these kids can't carry their own stuff around but that's the rules.
This is in Florida btw. Someone posted that they would ask prospective
teachers to go to a pump training class. This would be on teacher's own
time w/o getting paid. You wouldn't find many teachers willing to do this
here in Florida. They have enough trainings and in service they have to
take on their own time which is required of them. I agree w/going to the
supervisor of principals if you don't get anywhere with your
administration of your school. I did that when my son was in elementary
school in NY and I wasn't happy with the speech therapist for my son.
Spoke w/the therapist and prinicipal with no luck. Went above his head
and he was furious. Told him if he didn't care enough to do his job
properly then I was going over his head. Never had any problems with him
after that and we became best of friends. Guess he learned that I was not
one to be taken lightly. Kathy B.