Re: [IP] pump at school mistaken for beeper

email @ redacted wrote:
> In my school district 504 is not nearly as enforced as Special Education. It
> is my understanding that a diabetic child qualifies as OHI (Other Health
> Imparied) and is entitled to an IEP. I just had a 5 hour IEP meeting for a
> diabetic student YESTERDAY!

OHI is usually reserved for those who have academic deficits because of
their health impairment. This is what entitles them to receive services
from special education.

If your diabetic child does NOT have academic deficits (and I really
hope s/he doesn't!!!), then OHI is not the appropriate category -- the
child should NOT be placed in special ed classes just because of

The 504 addresses all the concerns of caring for the student's diabetes
at school --  the real issue is making the school officials AWARE -- as
a teacher, you cannot care for a child when you don't know he has an
impairment (and there are many others besides diabetes) -- and we don't
have access to 504 plans unless someone GIVES us the plan. In our
school, the nurse is supposed to do it, but I once went 7 weeks without
knowing there was a diabetic child in my class.

One of the traps many parents fall into is assuming that because their
child is central in their  own lives, that he is central in school, but
the fact is that teachers and administrators have HERDS of children to
deal with, and will NEVER know your child as well as you do -- I really
need your help as a parent to care properly for your child, and I seldom
find that help forthcoming. I don't have the time to do a 3-hour
research project on each child to find out what his or her particular
needs are, and if no one tells me, and if the child doesn't advocate for
himself, then I'm pretty well stuck in a catch-22 situation -- I'm
responsible for things beyond my control.

I really wish the mother of this child had contacted me privately and
told me he was diabetic -- and I wish the child had said something to me
-- he was VERY lucky I'm on the lax side and didn't enforce the school
rule about no pop, gum or candy in the classroom!!!!! When he would swig
on his coke (I think he was on NPH in the morning, and I had him 4th
period), I just ignored it -- if an administrator had seen me ALLOW him
to do it (not knowing he was diabetic), I would have been in trouble.
And if I HADN'T allowed him to do it, he might have had a hypo -- and
again, I would have been responsible. Plus having to deal with the kids
who say, "How come HE gets to drink pop and we don't?" -- I'm prohibited
from violating his privacy, so what do I tell the other kids?

Sometimes I think there is a reluctance on BOTH sides to look at the
whole picture -- as both a teacher AND a diabetic, I'm not so quick to
condemn, and I'd much rather look for solutions than lawsuits!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted