Re: [IP] pump at school mistaken for beeper

In a message dated 3/23/2002 12:21:36 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I usually like to snip messages, but all should read this again. I
> screams 504 plan 504 plan 504 plan 504 plan 504 plan 504 plan
> I can't overstate how important it is for ANY DIABETIC CHILD IN
> PUBLIC SCHOOL to have a 504 plan.
> A 504 plan COMPLETELY removes discretionary calls like this from the
> hands of teachers and administrators at a school. It puts them in the
> LEGAL POSITION OF NEGLIGANCE if they have not read and do not adhere
> to the 504 plan for a student that has the covered disability. If you
> do not have a 504 plan for your child / student then you are really
> missing the opportunity provided by federal law to protect your child
> from these abuses. Yes, they will still happen because some people
> will not follow the rules, but at that point you can insist on severe
> reprimands and they will not be able to say "I didn't know" since
> they are required by law to know when there is a 504 plan in place.

In my school district 504 is not nearly as enforced as Special Education. It
is my understanding that a diabetic child qualifies as OHI (Other Health
Imparied) and is entitled to an IEP. I just had a 5 hour IEP meeting for a
diabetic student YESTERDAY!