RE: [IP] School Nurses/Nutrition Guides/504 is a MUST!

Keep in mind that not all states allow school lay
personnel to administer glucagon. Such is the case in
Massachusetts as per the Mass Dept. of Public Health
Thus, we really must have school nurses here. Many of
the elementary schools in the state do not have f/t
nurses. Our school did not until i fought hard for
Our system is now facing severe budget cuts and i am
quite sure the superintendent will attempt to cut
nursing hours so i will likely be revisiting this
issue with them yet again.
Mom of two T1 children, both pumping

--- Connie Miller <email @ redacted> wrote:
> We have a full-time nurse. The lunchroom director
> was happy to send me all
> the CHO info for lunches and sent me about 3 inches
> of pages all with
> different meat information! I had to laugh.
> But keep in mind that diabetes care does not demand
> a Registered Nurse as
> some schools think. ALL of the diabetes care
> products are designed to be
> administered by Non-Medical personal - even
> Glucagon. Take some time to
> personally train your school staff, provide them
> with enough reading
> materials, and inform the administration to the
> special needs. And by all
> means get a 504 plan to protect your child.

Do You Yahoo!?