[IP] Surgery with pump-hysterectomy

To each their own but I had an abdominal hysterectomy the last part of
January this year.  My endo looked at my basal profiles took my smallest
number subtracted about .2 units per hour and told me to set all my basal
rates at this number.  For me it was .8 units per hour which I set as soon as
I got up that morning.  I woke up about 5 am and left for the hospital at
6:15 am.  Surgery was scheduled for 9 am.  I was afraid I would be to sedated
for too long to mentally go through the steps to set them back to my normal
rates so I let my doctor know that I was going to set a temporary basal of .9
for 24 hours for surgery instead.  He was okay with it.

Although I was in my room about noon, I was not awake enough to suspend the
temporary basal rate till about 3 PM.  Since I am on a Minimed 507c which
beeps on the hour when a temporary basal rate is set, I set the beep tone to
the quietist it could be and let the anesthesia staff it would beep every
hour (according to my pump, not necessarily to the clock in the operating

My endo spoke to the anesthesia staff and told them of "my drip", told them
while I was under they were to not touch the pump, they were to control my
blood sugars, and when I took over after surgery, to leave it to me and him.
They did let me know that they intended to keep my blood sugars 150 to 200 so
in case I would have a 50 point drop I would still be safe.

I did have minor problems with blood sugars in the hospital because:

 1). I could not "fight" the sugar in the D5W (once my endo got them to
change the IV to normal saline, it straightened out).

2). It was hard for me to calculate carbs when I did not prepare the food.

I was very glad to come home after three nights in the hospital.  My A1c on
December 12th was 7.6, on March 1 it was 5.9.

The only things I can attribute this remarkable difference is I now do not
have fluctuating natural hormones (I take a set dose of Premarin every day)
and I have started to put the sil in my upper arms rather than the abdomen.
I guess 17 years of pumping, always using the abdomen can take its toll on
even absorption.

The lady in Georgia who is scheduled to have a TAH this summer, please e-mail
me privately.  I somehow deleted your address off my address list.

Cee Dee

.  They  for about 12 hours right as I got to the hospital