RE: [IP] Back surgery questions

In a message dated 3/21/02 9:42:09 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
 I am not having back surgery, but a hysterectomy in May.  I asked my endo
 question today...what will I do about insulin?  She says that they prefer you
 to remove your pump during surgery and recovery...then when you are lucid,
 can put it back on.  She says they will ck. bg every hour at least, and give
 insulin and D5W through the IV.  I know people here have been allowed to wear
 their pumps, but she acted like most hospitals want it off.  I told her I
 would prefer to not go on injections at all...she said this would be ok.
 I would like to hear others' experiences as well. >>

I've always left my pump on during surgeries. My standard question if they
want me to remove it is, "Do you remove the pancreas of people without
diabetes before surgery?"

Jan and Elvis