[IP] surgery and pumps

Contact the hospital to see if there is a Diabetes Education Dept.  If so,
call the Dept.before you are admitted.I was a CDE at an Atlanta hospital.
There are policies and procedures for pump users. Our dept. was to be
notified whenever a pump user was admitted, but that did not always happen.
Because pump users are so knowledgeable, we often did not get notified, as
inpatient staff said "they don't need any education."  True, but the CDE can
provide clinical expertise. Bring your own pump supplies. Jennifer, in
Coweta, I emailed you about this, but am not sure you received the email.
Priscilla, RN,CDE