[IP] prologing honeymoon phase

A friend was just recently diagnosed with type I (21 years old).  He was
told of a new trial that could keep him in the honeymoon period for life but
had some risks associated with it--i.e. sterility. lymphoma etc.   Has
anyone heard of this and does anyone have any further details?
yes, This is not a sure thing. This study if it is the same as the one I am
familiar with is to give Interferon to turn off the T-cell mediated killing
of islet cells.  Some work done in our lab with NOD NOD mice suggests it
does not work either. spot