Re: [IP] Back surgery questions

In a message dated 3/21/2002 4:50:50 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< this morning I found
 >out that I have to have back surgery to repair a ruptured disc.  I was
 >wondering if any of you on the pump have had this surgery (the more recent
 >the better) and if you would share with me your story.  My specific
 >questions are: what did you do with your pump, what and how long was your
 >healing process and how are you doing now.  >>
    I had back surgery for a deteriorating disk (L5S1) in November 2000. I
kept my pump on & running the whole time. (surgery was over 5 hours). I kept
my pump in the thigh thing.
    I had to up by basal rates, since normally I am very active during the
daytime hours, plus the IV drip and other medicines they give you will make
BG's go up.
    I had trouble keeping my BG's under 200 for the 3 days I was in the
hospital, and for a good week afterward,.I used a sliding scale, 1 unit bolus
for every 40 numbers over 120 to try and keep them under control.
    The surgeon was very surprised how fast I healed and was able to get up
and move around, after the surgery.
    Best of luck - Jan G.