[IP] RE: College and diabetes

Julia:  I agree with Emily.  You need to make sure you always have
everything with you in arms reach.  I always carried glucose tablets (and
still do) and my meter in my backpack.  At night I made sure my backpack
was by my bed and that the pocket my tabs and meter were in was open.  My
freshman year I was still on MDI, and I can tell you that the other three
years, when I was on the pump, I had a much better time of getting good
grades.  I don't know if the two are related, but I think having better
control of my diabetes definitely gave me more mind space to concentrate
on my school work.  Make sure you have a medic alert something.  I had a
wristwatch wrap-around thing and then a beautiful gold necklace my
parents gave me for Christmas one year.  I would also make a friend with
at least one person in each class so that they would be able to help you
if you needed something (i.e. get a can of juice, know w! hat to do if
you pass out, etc.).  I only told the teachers in my smaller classes that
I was diabetic.  A lot of my professors had info sheets to fill out the
first day.  I would write that I was diabetic on those, just so they
knew.  I wish you the best wherever you go.  Please feel free to email me
if you have any more questions (email @ redacted).  Good luck.