Re: [IP] caffeine, morning coffee, and BG

In a message dated 3/21/02 10:37:48 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 On the subject of caffeine, is it the level of caffeine in coffee?
 Wouldn't it be the same for soft drinks? Especially ones like Mountain Dew
 that have more than others.  I have had my blood sugars to go up in the
 morning and always told myself there was no way it was the coffee, but now
 I am starting to wonder.  I also drink diet pepsi maybe once a day.

Caffeine is caffeine is caffeine, no matter where it comes from. There was a
study published in Diabetes Care in February or March where they tested the
effects of caffeine on insulin resistance on people without diabetes. They
found that ingesting moderate amounts of caffeine (found in coffee, tea,
sodas and chocolate) raised insulin resistance by 15 percent. Another study
(in Diabetes, February issue) found that exercise counteracted the effects of
caffeine on insulin resistance.

Jan and Elvis