Re: [IP] Brittle Diabetes

In a message dated 3/21/02 11:19:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> When
> complications start setting in, empathy appears, albeit unwelcomed

VERY well said Jan!!!...sort of like me skipping over breast cancer stories
in women's magazines, until that fateful mammogram in December 1997 sent me
on an unexpected "life journey"!!!....Those who are complication-free,
despite substandard diabetes care, have the "luck of the genetic draw" to
thank. Researchers now know that some people are predisposed to get
complications REGARDLESS of their care, while others are predisposed to never
get them. The only way to proceed in that great "unknown" IMHO, is to
optimize one's health, whatever the chronic condition, one day at a time...
to do all that one can possibly do to lessen the likelihood of complications
setting in, prior to even more interventional treatments being available.
     Lastly, my 19 yr old daughter had massive proteinuria, has been on
Vasotec (with no cough & no effect on her naturally low 90/70 bp) since June
1997, & each year the level of protein in her 24 hr collection has steadily
declined to this year's normal reading.
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)