[IP] Ketone strip question/Informal Poll

In a message dated 3/20/02 9:32:10 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I was recently informed that a friend of mine, who is Type #1 and pumping
 for 8mos., was told by his endo. that it was not necessary for him to
 order ketone strips to have on hand, in case of multiple high blood sugars.
 :-/ My question is...How many of you adult pumpers order ketone strips for
 this purpose? I find it extremely difficult to reason why and endo would
 discourage a patient from ordering supplies that could alert him to a
 potentially dangerous situation. Am I missing something here? >>

Maybe it has something to do with that old joke:

Q. What do you call the person who graduated last in his class at medical

A. Doctor.

Jan and Elvis