[IP] Re: Brittle diabetes

> <<Brittle diabetes is often a term used to indicate "I have no clue what the
> problem is!"
> There is usually a reason. Very frequently, it is too much insulin or too
> much food or "treatment" at the wrong time.  basal testing, bolus testing,
> and resetting of the target BG is a good place to start to find out what is
> the best solution.
> BarbaraB>>

Barbara, You are right, there is usually a reason.  However, the "reason"
could be any one of the 100 things that affect bgs over which people have
very little or no control and are completely impossible to quantify.
     I'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing, but "brittle"
diabetics get pretty tired of hearing that "just doing this or that" is going
to change their bodies' response.  Because they already know that this isn't
true.  All they can do is do their best from day to day and take what comes.

     For example, today upon arrival at the ski hill Claire's bg was 80.  Two
and a half hours later it was 330.  Was it the adrenalin rush from going down
the hills?  (maybe) Was the bolus for the ice-cream cone so totally off?
(not likely).  Is it due to the fact that her ear is hurting her? (possible,
but her ears are frequently infected and there is nothing that can be done
about it)  What else?  Did her brothers argue with her and get her upset?
Was the moon full?  etc.
     I've had a "brittle" diabetic child for almost five years and I sure
wish she could be one of these kids who is studied and analysed by their
mother for the exact response time and action profile of Humalog.  I'll let
you all know when this happens.  Perhaps when the hormones kick in at
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7