[IP] Ketones

I have a question. If you DO find that you have ketones, what do you do?  I've
never checked for ketones in 31 years of being on insulin.  I always thought
that if you had ketones, you should just get your blood glucose into a normal
range ASAP.  I also thought you should drink lots of water to prevent
dehydration.  When my BG is high, I will automatically drink lots of water.
If my BG is high, I will know it within a couple of hours since I check it so
frequently, and I will get the insulin to bring it back down ASAP.  What is
the advantage of knowing if you have ketones or not?  Isn't the treatment the
same as having high (or multiple high) readings?  Am I missing something