[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #187

From: "Emily M. Wefelmeyer" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] switching from shots to pump and conversion of dosage

Listen to your endo while starting the pump.......then try "different" basal
for 5 to 7 days, then adjust a little at a time by varying rates for
different times of the day.
(Always work with your endo, at least at the beginning!)  Nice thing about
the pump is that you can program different basals many times during the day,
according to your needs, and then
also run temporary basals when your needs change, ie. excercise, heavy work,
weekends, etc.

Its tuff to make sense of pump basal rates vs NPH rates pre-pump, but Total
daily doses will
usually be lower on the pump .......YMMV..........I don't remember what
doses of NPH I used pre-pump, but do remember that they were different at
breakfast & dinner........Started on a constant basal rate for first week,
then began to tweak it to 5 different rates during the day........

Still fighting with some whacky BG's at times, can't figure out why
sometimes, but the pump is a definite improvement,  it's nice not to have
use syringes, and my better half says I'm a nicer
person now.............and I even feel better.........

Good luck with your pumpin',  hang in there & mail me anytime........

Don KLemm,  with the big D since 1985,  pumping since July 2001