[IP] Re: blood donations

I am a parent of a diabetic child.  Since my blood type is O neg. I am asked to give frequently (I think it is every 52 days)  I go about 4 times with no problem but the 5th time I always have a low iron reading and I am turned away. You can imagine the stares you get when you leave the exam room and don't get to move onto the donation area.  I know I am overly sensitive but I would like to shout, "It's only a low iron"!  I asked my family doc about it.  She had thought I should try to limit my donations to 2 or 3 times per year, make sure I take a multivitamin, eat healthy etc.  I always feel so guilty when they call and I say no- does anyone else have this problem?