RE: [IP] Blood Donations

Kathy Bullock [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Now I REALLY don't get out much...I always assumed I could
> not donate blood
> because I had diabetes.

There is no risk to the recipient just because the donor is diabetic.

> I'm thinking there is some
> connection regarding
> beef insulin verses the human insulin now available...for
> many years...I'm
> feeling fairly ignorant here!  What is the deal with donating blood?

As long as you are otherwise in good health and not taking certain
medications, there's no reason your blood would be unsafe or that you
shouldn't donate.  Some of the other reasons for not (ie beef insulin from
the UK) are because of an increased risk to the recipient.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR