RE: [IP] Blood Donations

Barb [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> When I wasn't on the pump, I never told them I was diabetic.
> But, the pump
> is hard to hide.  They just asked me if I used sterile
> techniques, never a
> question about the dosages, etc.  I also donate platelets
> regularly.  They
> have never asked me any questions or restricted me for any reason.

The National American Red Cross requires workers to ask if beef insulin from
Great Britain has been used since 1980, and if so, one is deferred due to
the (slight) increased risk of passing on CJD (the human form of Mad Cow
Disease).  Also, if one's regimen has been changed in the past two weeks,
one might be deferred, but this is protection for the donor.

Other issues - if one has re-used a syringe in the past year, one is
deferred . . . but they're not allowed to ask.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR