Re: [IP] Blood Donations

On 14 Mar 2002 at 20:41, Emily M. Wefelmeyer wrote:

> To start with, I'm still on MDI, but starting the pump soon (8 days!).
> Last August, I tried to give when I was home from school.  Because I had
> not had the exact same dose of insulin for the last 5 months, they (we
> don't have a Red Cross in the area) would not take my blood.  I was
> upset (as was my mother who had taken off to give with me).  We talked
> to some people higher up in the organization and they said the key word
> was to say that you are on a sliding scale.  Anyway, I tried to give
> again this past January, and both my mother and I tried to talk to the
> technician.  They seemed really against me giving since I was diabetic
> and did not quite understand all the diabetic "lingo" and what we were
> talking about.  I think that I'll try giving at school with a close
> friend b/c I want to have someone at least attempt to understand what I
> am saying and not go into it with a closed mind about my diabetes.
> Just a few thoughts...Emily

A couple more thoughts here;  If they refuse you and place you on their "not acceptable" list, call and talk to the Medical Director of the donor clinic.  They are a bit more
knowledgeable and you can talk with them and give your reasons why you think you would be a good donor.  Here in Texas the agency is Carter Blood Care and they first
refused me (other than back in the 70's) for having taken insulin injections several times with the same syringe.  When I got on the pump, that solved that problem.  They
will also ask you about all the medications that you take.  The recommendations on drugs read: "Must have completed antibiotics the day before donating. Cannot give if
taking accutane, propecia or proscar. OK to give if taking aspirin, antihistamines, birth control pills, blood pressure medicines, vitamins and many other medications.
Prophylactic antibiotics for acne are OK".  Your center may have different guidelines but talk to the Medical Director if you encounter any problems.

George      :>)