Re: [IP] Humalog vs Novolog

> > In a message dated 3/13/02 7:16:27 PM, email @ redacted writes:
> >
> > << Is Insulin a DRUG?? my cde said noway,,  I do not know what to think?
any

> > one??
> >
> > doug?
> >

> > Insulin is a hormone and is produced by the pancreas in non-DMers.
Everyone

> > has insulin either natural or injected/infused. (~_^) >>
> >
> > Yes ok I know that but is humalog or novolog a drug??
> > doug:)ow and you forgot inhalable insulin
>
> Insulin is a hormone.  However, Humalog, Novolog and I believe Lantus are
not true insulins, so they may well be classified as drugs.

> George

Out of curiosity, addressing the broader question (insulin rather than the
insulin analogs), I looked up the definition of "drug" in "Webstes's New
Collegiate Dictionary", G.& C. Merriam Co., 1961. The applicable definitions
are:

Drug - Any substance used as a medicine, or in making medicines

Medicine - Any preparation used in treating disease.

Pat