Re: [IP] Humalog vs Novolog

> This brings two things to mind:
> 1) If they are basically the same thing then there
> should be no harm in mixing them. (Yet virtually
> everyone here seems opposed to the idea.)

Insulin is a very large molecule that is "relatively" stable in two
forms, one is wound tight and the other is linear. It's wound up in
the solution in the bottle and immediately after injection or
infusion. The body does not use it in the wound form. The
"modifications" that are done to the B chain by E.Lily and Novo
influence how fast it "unwinds" or is absorbed by the tissue after
infusion. There is NO information about how these two different
molecules behave when put together in the same jug. Nothing might
happen or one of the other could be affected. The chemistry involved
with the insulin molecules, the buffer solution, etc... is very

> 2) If they are basically the same thing then why do
> some people do so much better on one of them than the
> other? (Their chemical makeup [aspart added vs lis and
> pro molecules swapped] and the way in which they are
> made [yeast-derived vs e.coli-derived] is certainly not
> identical.

Individuals body (immune system probably) react differently to the
shape of the phoney insulin molecule. Those that recognize it as
normal do not react differently to the two insulin analogs. That
probably represents the majority of people, I'd guesstimate 90-95% of
the population. We have enough data to say that around 6% of people
have some reaction to Humalog -- and I suspect from the few adverse
reports on Novolog that a somewhat similar size set of different
people have some reaction to Novolog / NovoRapid. There is not enough
data to really draw conclusions at this point. Suffice it to say that
the vast majority of people can certainly use one or the other.

> Only their onset of action/duration, etc is
> similar.)

the problems people have reported using both Humalog and Novolog are
pretty well defined. Unless a person has one or more of these
problems there is no profit in switching from one insulin analog to
the other and certainly no reason to mix them. Mixing them would
expose the person not only to the vagaries of possible chemical
interaction between the two dissimilar molecules, but also to possible
bodily reaction to whatever irritating properties both insulin
analogs might have. Trying one vs the other could rule this out and
also determine if there was any difference in response to one or the
other. A response that was NOT the norm would be a good indication
that a person should NOT use that particular insulin analog either
alone or mixed with something else.

If both insulin analogs performed as expected, the a person could use
one or the other. There would be no reason at all to use both.

You might ask why people use a Humalog - Velosulin (or regular). Up
until Sept 2001, Humalog was the only available fast acting insulin
analog. For the unlucky 6% that have side effects, the choice was
either tolerate the problems, mix it, or use a regular insulin.
Mixing produced results that more or less eliminated the side effects
for most of those affected, but it is a nusisance and does not
"completely" eliminate the problems, just makes them almost
unnoticeable for most poeple. Now that Novolog is available, many
former mixers have switched with good results. With the added choice
of a second fast acting insulin analog, the choice is now broader.
Why mix when you can use and insulin that works fine and has no side

For most people, they can use either Humalog or Novolog.
For those that don't get the expected results from one, the other is
available. I would guess that mixing the two would at a minimum
double the chances that there would be side effects.