[IP] kids complication free

I have been reading this thread for a bit without commenting...and the whole
idea just makes me want to scream! When Kevin first got dx, in Dec of '98 he
saw the head of the Endocrinology dept here at UVA. (rated one of the top 100
hospitals in the country!) THIS doc told us we didnt need to worry about
keeping Kevins bgs under the 200 range until he was 18! That was when we had
to be concerned about complications!! We were floored! Did he live in a cave
or what? Gee, what about all the damage that he could possibly do from 10
years old til 18!

When we started asking about the pump, he was dead set against it until Kevin
was at least 14...we fought it...but that is a whole other story.

The endo we see now and started with right after we got kevin on the pump, was
very aggressive in keeping Kevins bg's in range. Thank GOD for him!

I cannot believe though that this man, as influential as he is, can get away
with those words!

Mom to Kevin, NOW 14, dx 12/98
pumping 5/99