[IP] Dawn Phenomenon?

Can someone explain to me what dawn phenomenon is?  I saw my endo on
Thursday, he's very pleased with my blood work~A1c 5.7.  My fastings are
still higher than he would like them to be.  I run about 140 fasting.  He
told me to up my 3a.m. basal from 1.3 to 1.5.  I've been slowly raising my
basals without any decrease in my fastings.  Also, after I get up and get
moving in the morning, my bg tends to creep for a little while.  Does anyone
have any suggestions?  When I went to bed last night my bg was 109.  I don't
understand what I'm doing wrong.