[IP] Re: Units per inch of tubing

<<> I set Josh up with a new set and cartridge and tubing yesterday and made
> note
> that it took 12.6 units to fill his 23" tubing with the MM QS.

Can you explain this?  When we prime 5 units, insulin drips out the end of
the tubing and we are using the same set and tubing as you are.

I am confused why it took 12.6 to fill the 23" tubing.

It sounds to me like Sylvia ran a *test* and did not push the tubing full of
insulin by hand first, but let it prime with the pump motor and battery to
see the exact amount registered for the prime to fill the entire tubing. I
highly doubt she nor Josh will prime it this way again. >>

Josh uses the H-tron pump, and this is always the way that the tubing is
filled.  You pop the reservoir/cartridge into the pump, screw it shut, attach
the tubing and push the button to prime the tubing.  When you see the insulin
drip out, you push a button to stop the prime which is set to deliver 20
units.  Claire uses the 43" tubing, so it takes about 18 units to fill.
     With the H-tron, when you change your set, you can just leave the
reservoir in the pump, attach the new tubing and push that prime button.  No
need to replace the reservoir until it is empty or near empty.  Thus we only
use 3 reservoirs per month.
     I'm not familiar with the workings of the Minimed and I must say I get
very confused with a lot of the discussion here.  Why is it that you need to
replace the reservoir/cartridge when you change a set?  The design must be
very different from Disetronic.  Doesn't this make the daily expenses much
higher?  In Canada the Minimed reservoirs cost $3.30 each.  The Disetronic
reservoirs cost a bit more, but last us for 10 days.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7, pumping H-tron with Quick-sets